How And Why I Put A Dishwasher Where my Oven Used To Be
When my propane oven stopped working I quickly decided I wanted a dishwasher in that space. We are talking about My 35″ AClass, not my campervan. The Campervan never had a stove and it never will. For me, a stove is not necessary I do 90% of my cooking in one of two NInja Foodi Devices, The ninja Speedi for my small camper and the Ninja Foodi 14 in 1 for my Big Beast. Read my Ninja Speedi review here and my Ninja Foodi review here. My Class A also has a convection microwave combination if I ever want to cook a big pizza or a turkey that won’t fit in my Ninja.
I began the search for other folks who had done this swap. I measured the space, and checked out where the plumbing was. I was skeptical about the plumbing and the power, but I’m very lucky to have a Dad who’s got some life skills in his pocket and plumbing is one of them. My dad helped me with the installation and then I called an RV tech when we needed a hand dialling in the plumbing as it definitely wanted to leak when we installed it initially.
I have zero regrets about gaining the use of a dishwasher in a place that was ultimately just unneeded storage, it still is technically storage space… storage space that hides my dirty dishes and makes them clean while hiding them! I don’t use my dishwasher or my washing machine when I’m boon docking. The way my plumbing system is set up is if the grey water drain is not open the pressure of the drain pumps is too much and the water will back up into my RV. I learned this the hard way. Just another thing people don’t talk about, maybe it’s not the case in other RV’s, I just got lucky! lol inset sarcasm font over the word lucky. Thankfully when I experienced this backwash of water it was before I had installed my new flooring.
The most helpful video on youtube for exactly what it is I wanted to do is this one….
These folks did exactly what I did. I had initally separated my cook top from the oven and I had thought I may jsut install the dishwasher below the old cook top, I decided to buy a brand new cook top for 2 reasons – 1. I was a bit nervous about fitting the dishwasher into the space below with the few extra dangly bits left behind by the oven removal. 2. My old cook top was pretty old and pretty ugly. I managed to get one off of amazon for a reasonable price and i managed to swap the old for the new with no problems. The easy slide in model can be found on Amazon using this link…
My second largest concern after plumbing was electrical, I”m embarrassed about how much time it took me to realize that there was already a plug built into the cupboard next to where my old propane oven was. What a joyful win that was! So no extra cord running under the sink was required, my countertop dishwasher plug right in and was ready to wash!
Here’s a step by step video showing how to disconnect and remove your RV oven, please note when I took this apart I kept and used the original cook top and had the framing for the oven underneath as storage. I bought a similar sized cupboard door from Ikea and had great storage while I shopped for the right priced dishwasher to put in that space.
Here are some pictures of my own installation, removal, and finished product. Keep reading for helpful hints on choosing a dishwasher for your RV. It’s important to do this safely. I spent hours watching videos and researching this process before I started. There are even more youtube videos now so much more great information out there. Please be safe. Turn the propane off completely at the source before even starting. I also lit the stove when the propane was off in order to burn off any residual propane from the lines. I ran my ‘fantastic fan’ on low during this. I made sure to purchase the best cap to tie of the oven section of the propane .
Dishwasher For RV: Making Life on the Road More Comfortable
If you’re an avid RVer, you know that one of the biggest challenges of life on the road is finding ways to keep your living space clean and organized. While there are many different gadgets and appliances that can help you do this, one of the most important is a dishwasher. Not only does a dishwasher make it easier to clean up after meals, but it also saves you time and energy compared to washing dishes by hand.
However, choosing a dishwasher for RV use can be a little more challenging than choosing one for a traditional home. There are many different factors to consider, from space constraints to the type of power source you have available. To help you make the best decision for your needs, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide to dishwashers in an RV.
Why You Need a Dishwasher in Your RV
There are many good reasons to invest in a dishwasher for your RV. First and foremost, it saves you time and energy compared to washing dishes by hand. When you’re living on the road, time is a precious commodity, and anything you can do to streamline your daily routines is a huge plus.
In addition, a dishwasher is much more hygienic than washing dishes by hand. Because dishwashers use high-temperature water to sanitize your dishes, they are able to kill off any harmful bacteria and pathogens that might be present. This is especially important if you’re cooking for a large group of people or if you have young children.
Another advantage of a dishwasher in an RV is that it helps you keep your living space organized. When you have a dishwasher, you don’t need to worry about finding space for dirty dishes or about cleaning them up by hand. You can simply load your dishes into the dishwasher, run the cycle, and be done. This not only makes your life easier, but it also helps keep your RV looking neat and tidy.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Dishwasher for Your RV
When choosing a dishwasher for your RV, there are several factors you need to consider. Some of the most important are:
- Space Constraints: One of the biggest challenges of choosing a dishwasher for an RV is finding one that will fit into your limited space. Most RVs have very limited kitchen areas, so you’ll need to look for a compact dishwasher that is designed to fit into small spaces.
- Power Source: Another important factor to consider is the type of power source you have available. Some RVs run on a generator, while others have a hookup to a shore power source. You’ll need to choose a dishwasher that is compatible with your RV’s power source.
- Capacity: When choosing a dishwasher for your RV, you’ll also need to consider its capacity. If you’re cooking for a large group of people, you’ll need a dishwasher with a large capacity. On the other hand, if you’re just cooking for two, you may be able to get away with a smaller dishwasher.
- Price: Finally, you’ll need to consider the cost of the dishwasher you’re interested in. Dishwashers for RVs can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, so you’ll need to determine how much you’re willing to spend before you start shopping.
Types of Camper Dishwashers
There are several types of dishwashers that are suitable for use in RVs, including:
- Portable Dishwashers: Portable dishwashers are a popular option for RVs as they can be easily moved from one location to another and don’t require any permanent installation. These dishwashers are typically smaller in size and can be connected to a sink faucet for water and drainage.
- Countertop Dishwashers: Countertop dishwashers are another option for RVs. They are designed to sit on a kitchen counter and can be connected to a sink faucet for water and drainage. These dishwashers are often more compact and take up less space compared to portable dishwashers.
- Built-in Dishwashers: Built-in dishwashers are designed to be installed into an RV’s kitchen cabinets. They typically require a more permanent installation, but offer a more integrated look and feel compared to portable or countertop dishwashers.
- Drawer Dishwashers: Drawer dishwashers are a newer option that have become more popular in recent years. They are designed to be installed into an RV’s kitchen cabinets and look similar to a standard kitchen drawer. These dishwashers are more compact than built-in dishwashers and take up less space, making them a good choice for smaller RVs.
- RV-Specific Dishwashers: Some companies offer dishwashers that are specifically designed for use in RVs. These dishwashers often have smaller dimensions and can be connected to a water source and drain hose. They are a good choice for those looking for a dishwasher that is easy to install and use in their RV.
Overall, the best dishwasher for your RV will depend on your specific needs, so be sure to carefully consider all of the factors listed above to ensure you make an informed decision. Some things to be aware of is that not all faucets will work with a portable dishwasher’s quick connect.
Top 7 Dishwashers For A Camper or RV
- Danby Countertop Dishwasher/Camper Dishwasher
This is my obvious first choice because it’s the one I put into my RV. I will admit, that at the time of purchase, there were not a lot of other options. I picked mine up second-hand off of Facebook Marketplace. I paid around 200$ CDN for it. Danby has them listed on their own website at $510. But you can grab one from Amazon for 389. on sale at the time of posting. Washing has never been easier as it is with this stylish counter-top dishwasher. This unit utilizes just 3.1 gallons (11.7 liters) of water for a normal cycle. It comes with six different settings which can easily be programmed and monitored via the electronic LED display. The wash cycles range from soak, glass, rapid, economy, normal, and intensive. The dishwasher is designed for simple and quick installation as it can easily be hooked up to any tap in your kitchen. Keeping the appliance clean is a breeze due to its durable stainless-steel interior. There is an auto detergent and rinse agent dispenser for your convenience and this chic dishwashing unit is designed to fit under just about any type of kitchen cabinet. It also comes with a 12-month warranty on parts and labor.
- Compact space saving countertop dishwasher with a quick connect feature compatible with most kitchen faucets
- 6 place setting capacity with silverware basket
- Energy star compliant and low water consumption up to 3.1 gallons of water (11.7L) per wash to help save you money
- 6 wash cycles ranging from heavy, normal, light, speed, rinse, and glass Delay start option by 2,4,6 or 8 hours New and improved spray arm and filter gets dishes cleaner
- Durable stainless steel interior Designed to operate at 52 decibels, less noise than a normal conversation.
- Electronic controls with LED display Fits under most cabinets
- 21.7″W x 19.7″D x 17.2″H and 46.3lbs
2. Comfee Countertop Dishwasher/Camper Dishwasher
The Comfee Countertop Dishwasher is exactly the same price on Amazon as the Danby at its sale price. COMFEE’ countertop dishwasher can meet your daily cleaning needs, with a capacity of 6 place settings. It has 8 functions, including Heavy, Normal, Baby-Care, ECO, Glass, Speed, Rinse and Mini-Party, helped with extra-drying function. Our mini dishwasher can be installed easily with accessories and simply plumbed connection steps like other full-size dishwashers. Also, it can be connected to the faucet directly (Suitable adaptor needed). Depending on your needs, it can be flexibly placed on the table or fitted in the cupboard.
- •【6 Place Setting】- A perfect size(H438×W550×D500mm) for 2-3 people, COMFEE’ compact dishwasher is suitable for dorms, RVs and apartments. This countertop dishwasher can fit up to 70 pieces of tableware, and a plate size of up to 10 inches diameter. Note: COMFEE dishwashers are tested at the factory before they are shipped. If your new dishwasher has some water inside, this is normal.
- •【Simple Installation】- COMFEE’ portable dishwasher can be installed easily with accessories and simple plumbed connection steps like other full size dishwashers. Also, this dish washer can be connected to faucet directly (Suitable adaptor needed). Depending on your needs, it can be flexibly placed on the table or fitted in the cupboard.
- •【8 Washing Cycles】- Most of the cleaning cycles, including Heavy, Normal, Baby-Care, ECO, Glass and Speed, helped with extra-drying function, deliver sparklingly cleaned and dried dishes. Three more cleaning options, including Speed, Mini-party and Rinse, are designed for COMFEE’ compact dishwasher, providing high flexibility for you to choose in different situations.
- •【Heavy Program】- Heavily soiled dishes are cleaned evenly with 12 washing nozzles, accompanied with 360° spiral spray wash to ensure complete washing of all the dishes from all angles. Also, high water temperature, which is up to 68℃, together with high water pressure, offer you the best cleaning towards the most stubborn stains.
- •【Speed Program】- Only takes you 45 minutes to get all dishes cleaned, perfect for hurry-up situations, like holding a multi-round party. Accompanied with Energy Star compliant, water consumption can be as low as 2.77 gallons of water, which greatly saves your costs.
- measures 52.3D x 54.9W x 43.7H Centimetres 20.87 Kg aka 20.59″ x 21.61″ x 17.2 and 46lbs
3. Comfee 5ltr Countertop Dishwasher/Camper Dishwasher
The Comfee 5ltr Countertop dishwasher is currently $499. CDN on Amazon. That’s a pretty hefty price tag, in my humble/thrifty opinion. This style is a bit more versatile you don’t need to connect it to your kitchen sink and drain, you could likely set it up on a picnic table with a Solar Generator and away you go! Check out my Jackery 500 review here. Please make sure to use Eco friendly dish soap if you are planning to let your water drain anywhere that isn’t a proper septic draining system. I know this is a controversial topic, but I don’t know a single human who has been camping and hasn’t washed their dishes in nature.
- [ No Installation Needed ]: Adding water manually in the 5L built-in water tank, you can put the countertop dishwasher in any suitable place without connecting to tap water. This mini dishwasher can also be hooked to a kitchen faucet with the included water hose (Faucet Adapter Needed).
- [ Ultra-Compact Design ]: The compact dishwasher can wash 30+ items (Max to 10″ plates) at a time while occupying a small space (16.5 x 17.1 x 17.1 inches), ideal for apartments, small kitchens, dorms, boats, campers& RVs. (Note: COMFEE’ dishwashers are tested at the factory before being shipped, so it’s normal if your new tabletop dishwasher has some water inside.)
- [ 5 Programs & 1 Function ]: NORMAL, RAPID, STEAM, FRUIT, GLASS washing programs, and AIR REFRESH extra drying mode meet all your daily needs. Note: use the standard dishwasher powders or detergents to get the best cleaning results. (No detergent is needed for the FRUIT program, and RAPID just needs half of the standard quantity. Regular liquid dish soap will cause dishwasher problems).
- [ Upgraded 192 ℉ STEAM & Dual Spray ]: The STEAM program includes 162 ℉ Rinsing and max to 192 ℉ STEAM, easily removing stuck-on and dried food particles than regular programs. It also ensures thorough cleaning of baby bottles. The upper and lower spray arms direct water toward the corners of every dish, turning dirty dishes sparkling clean.
- [ Extra Drying & Stay Fresh ]: Circulation of AIR REFRESH removes moisture and odor, keeping your plates and machine dry and fresh for a long time. The function is enabled by default and you can also inactivate the function if unnecessary.
- measures 17.1 x 18.1 x 17.1 Inches and wieghs 36.6 pounds
4. Fisher & Pykel Drawer Dishwasher
This product is gorgeous for a home and for a camper dishwasher it’s next level!. If I had the money I would 100% install this in my RV, but with a heft price tag of $1299. Canadian, plus installation, plus tax. I need to win the lottery first. That being said, some of the new RV’s are sold with these types of Dishwashers installed already! Luxury, am I right? Gorgeous dishwashing luxury. There are a few different sizes and styles and they are a bit hard to find. Trail appliances carries them for my neighborhood.
This single DishDrawer™ dishwasher is designed to fit existing kitchen cabinetry and has comparable dimensions to those of traditional dishwashers while providing the benefit of two independent drawers for added convenience and ergonomics. DishDrawer™ dishwashers are as easy to open and close as kitchen drawers and can be conveniently positioned at bench height so loading and unloading requires minimal bending.
Featuring 6 wash cycles, quiet operation, fan assisted drying, the capacity for 7 place settings with fold down tines and foldable cup racks, this dishwasher will be a great addition to any kitchen. The combination of intelligent technology and simple mechanics means more space for your dishes, greater reliability and excellent wash performance. DishDrawer™ dishwashers are easy to load because they include a range of flexible racking options. The cutlery basket can be customized for different utensils. Folding tines and cup racks can be folded flat to accommodate a full load of pots. On selected models, the pitch-adjustable tines allow for different shapes of plates and height adjustable cup racks provide for different sizes of glasses and include wine glass supports.
Width 23.56″ Height. 16.13″ Depth 22.56
5. Dr. Lazy Countertop Dishwasher
This one made the list because it’s got a great sleek design and it will also clean your fruits and vegetables! What a great extra feature. I couldn’t find any product reviews and it does have a pretty hefty price tag… $469CDN on Amazon.
- 【5+1 PROGRAM OPTIONS】Dr. Lazy dishwasher with 5 functions of normal, rapid, eco, intensive, vegetable & fruit, which can meet all your daily cleaning needs. Equipped with appointment function, so you can start the washing time as you like, enjoy clean and fresh tableware at any time.
- 【167°F HOT RINSING FOR DIRTY DISHES】Intensive mode increases the water temperature to 140°F for washing and up to 167°F for high temperature rinsing, which can handle heavily soiled dishes and effectively remove oil stains & odors to provide you with the best cleaning.
- 【3D HOR AIR DRYING】The highest temperature of the kitchen dishwasher up to 167°F(75℃), improving the drying performance and to prevent any peculiar smells. So it can quickly dry the residual moisture of the tableware to keep it dry and clean. 7 days 24 hours long-term storage can ensure your tableware is fresh and odor-free for a long time.
- 【360° THOROUGH CLEANING】Electric dishwasher built-in dual spray system 21 holes, the upper and lower spray arms run at the same time to achieve 360° all-round coverage and washing. No matter what washing mode you selected, it can effectively remove oil stains from tableware.
- 【4 PLACE SETTING & COMPACT SIZE】A perfect size (H19.3″×W17.63″×D17.12″) for 3-4 people. Dr.lazy compact dishwasher appliance is suitable for dorms, RVs, and apartments and cabins, which has a 4 Place-Setting Capacity. And fits up to 10″ dishes loaded at an angle.
- 【100% AFTER-SALES SERVICE】Dr. Lazy tabletop dishwasher for top quality standards and safe operation. Worry-free 1-Year against any defect in materials under normal use and service after proper installation. Please feel free to contact us as we provide exceptional customer support.
- 【SECONDARY DRAINAGE PUMP】Compared with other dishwashers, our kitchen dishwasher adds a secondary drain pump, which allows the remaining water inside the dishwasher to drain more cleanly, so as to keep the inside of the dishwasher and your tableware dry.
- H19.3″×W17.63″×D17.12″ and 41.6lbs
6. Danby Built in 18″ Apartment Size Dishwasher
if you have the room for this I say go for it! There have been many days when I wish my dishwasher was just a little bit bigger, and I am a solo female RV dweller. Any of you that aren’t doing this lifestyle alone, go big or go home! Get the big rig, install the big dishwasher. If you have the room why not? This little house helper is $560CDN on Amazon.
Save time and money with Danby’s 18” ENERGY STAR compliant low-water consumption, stainless-steel dishwasher. This stainless steel, built-in dishwasher holds up to 8 place settings and one silverware basket. It has 6 wash cycles to choose from: heavy, normal, eco, glass, rapid and rinse; 4 hot water temperature options plus sanitize mode (up to 69C/156F). Equipped with a stainless steel tub, this dishwasher can withstand years of washes. And at only 52db, less than the volume of a normal conversation, this dishwasher runs quietly in the background. The delay-start feature allows you to pre-select a desired start time so your dishes get washed on your schedule. And with smart wash, dirty dishes are automatically detected and a wash cycle similar to a short wash is performed. Take the pain out of washing dishes with the Danby 18”built-in low-water consumption dishwasher.
- 8 place setting capacity and silverware basket
- Energy star compliant with Low water consumption
- Electronic controls with Digital display provide easy select options with the touch of a button
- Delay start feature: washing dishes shouldn’t be a chore, schedule your washing around your schedule
- 6 convenient wash cycles: Heavy, Normal, Eco, Rapid, Glass and Rinse
- Space saving 18” wide built in dishwasher for compact space living
- Stainless Steel Inner Tub for maximum durability
- 4 hot water temperature options + Sanitize option (up to 69C/156F)
- Quiet operation – Maintain ambience in the kitchen with this quiet dishwasher. Operates at 52db which is less than a normal conversation
7. Multifunctional Dish Washing Machine
I’m including this handly little agitator because apparently it will also wash your clothes. This is an amazing price point, does it work? I would love to hear some folks who have tried this thing! It gets really terrible reviews, so please don’t buy this! I inlcuded it because I’d love to hear some comments on it! Have you tried it, did your neighbor try it?
- 【Smart Cleaning】Our portable mini dishwasher can be set to turn off for 15 minutes to save dishwashing time for other things.
- 【High Pressure Cleaning】Our portable dishwasher utilizes high pressure water to create oxidative bubbles to speed up the removal of tableware stains.
- 【Professional Cleaning】Our mini dishwasher supports the use of USB plug-in, which produces high-speed vibration and high-pressure water spray to accelerate the dispersion, emulsification and peeling of liquids and stains to achieve cleaning.
- 【Easy to Use】Our ultrasonic dishwasher can be put directly into the basin, saving time and effort, very convenient to use, USB powered, plug and play.
- 【Portable Dishwasher】Compact size ensures easy portability, this USB portable dishwasher is perfect for home, business trips, dorms, apartments, etc.
In conclusion, adding a dishwasher to your RV can be a game-changer for anyone who enjoys spending time in their camper. With the right dishwasher for your RV, you can enjoy clean dishes without having to spend time and energy hand washing. There are several options available on the market that cater specifically to the needs of RV owners, including compact and portable dishwashers that are easy to install and operate. So if you’re tired of scrubbing dishes in your RV sink, consider investing in a dishwasher for RV life and enjoy the convenience of clean dishes wherever your travels take you.
If you liked this post, you might like these too: